02 September 2008

Franklin Signet Embosser



I decided to revisit the hot foil stamping machine that I bought it in 2003 at an estate sale. The little machine, eight-or-so boxes of type and loads of hot foil cost me $15. It's small and easy to carry from workspace to shelf. Nice and portable.

This is my second hot foil machine. My first was a massive Kwik Print model 86. It was rescued from my old employer's trash pile back in 2000. It was far too big and unwieldy to fiddle with. After seven years of lugging it through several office moves and one house move, I finally decided to donate it to an architectural salvage shop.

But, I still have my Franklin Signet portable model, and today I found a manual online for a similar machine made by Kingsley.

These cards are pre-manual.



One of the boxes of type.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just acquired a Franklin Signet Embosser & would love to find a manual. Where did you find it?
Carole in NY

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just got a frankin signet kinda like yours where did you get the manual? Thanks!
terinow55@yahoo.com

cluttershop said...

Hi - I found a manual for a similar machine -- a Kingsley. It was posted at FineImprints.com -- the link to the manual is here.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thank you cluttershop!

Deb Allen said...

hi, I have just brought one of these little gems and REALLY need the manuel but the website you have the link to, for the kingston manuel isnt working, any chance you have a copy on your computer? I cant find any other ones. thanks heaps!!! debaleigh2@hotmail.com

cluttershop said...

Sorry to hear that the link is no longer good. I've actually packed mine up and am getting ready to list it on ebay, so I'm done with the hot foil world for now.

If anyone knows another source for how-tos, please feel free to post.

To be honest, the manual wasn't all that helpful. It didn't really explain how to thread the foil. I had to figure that out on my own.

The most useful bits I learned from the manual:
- if the image is blurry, your setting is too hot
- if the image is faint or incomplete, turn up the heat
- if some parts are clearer than others, change the cardboard strip underneath.

Unknown said...

We made the type for this machine for years. We have one in our shop to print with and LOVE It. It is durable and really fun to work with. Love your sight. David @ bell type in Los Angeles